Monday, January 7, 2013

It's That Time of the Year

Goodbye 2012, and welcome 2013... Thankfully the world didn't end with the end of the Mayan Calendar, and so we have another year to live, and Plan ;)

Among those plans, there is the ritual of the New Year Resolutions... Of course, the hot word during December and January... Everyone will be asking you "What are your 2013 Resolutions?", "Am I in it?", "Did you finish all your 2012 ones?", and on and on with questions about those Resolutions...

Go to the Internet, and you will find millions of articles and blogs about the Resolutions: How to make the best of your Resolutions, The best Strategy to write them, what not to include... Add to that the other millions of articles about weight loss, yoga, diets, meditation, and many of the other cliche items that most of us include every year in our Resolutions...

I am a big fan of planning, making To-Do lists and reminders is an obsession of mine. And so I support having a New Year Resolution list, as part of our yearly planning. But what I find is that this process has been distorted... In what sense you might ask, well here is how...

To start off, I have to mention that I'm not a psychologist or sociologist or any of that sort. I'm just BISS, your average human friend with some observations to share... So keep this in mind ;-)

So when it comes to Resolutions, again, in principle this is a good thing to have. Although some people would argue, why do it on this New Year, not on the Chinese New Year or Islamic New Year or whatever other main occasion in your culture or religion or society? It's your call. Do it whenever you want, as long as you know this is a good thing to have: a yearly plan for major things to accomplish in your life... Agreed?

Next is what those Resolutions talk about and include, and that's where a lot of us might disagree... For me, New Year Resolutions should be all about Genuine things that matter to you and your loved ones. It should be from within your heart, and soul... Deep right? Well let me explain more...

Losing weight because I want to look sexier or because I want to get more action!! This is not a New Year resolution that is genuine from within your heart and soul... Modify it a bit: I want to lose some weight and become more fit, because my children are becoming more physically demanding, and I want to be able to keep up. This is genuine, that touches something deep inside a parent...

Another example: I want to stop smoking this year, because my partner says I smell bad in smoke!! Or I read an article that says non-smokers are becoming more cool and popular than smokers, and so I want to stop smoking this year!! Well... I am not that sure this is a major item to be in your Resolutions!! Maybe it is that important to you!! But let me try to tweak it a bit: I want to stop smoking this year because it is affecting my health, and I want to take better care of my health, for my own sake and for the sake of the ones I love... This is more rooted and strong, isn't it??

I'll pause for a minute to explain something: Losing weight or quitting smoking are important to a lot of people, but unless it is a priority, more important than a lot of other things in your life, it should be part of your day to day decisions, not a New Year Resolution!! Don’t add every small and big, major and minor decision or goal you want to do this year in those Resolutions!! Keep it for the elite ones, the special ones, the Genuine ones... Put the rest on other To-Do lists and planners...

Buying a new car, getting that beautiful watch you always wanted, going on a trip to Venice, or even getting a college degree, they may or may not be good fits for your Resolutions. The measure should be how much they matter to your heart and soul... Not only how much ego or fun or excitement they give you... Keep those others for your fun time planning maybe!!

Another thing to add: Resolutions are not designed to simply challenge yourself. It does not help putting 30 items that you know you may not achieve half of them!! Yes setting goals is challenging. You have to focus and commit and be strong and determined to achieve goals you set in your Resolutions. And that's why I stick to my description of "GENUINE" to be your strong tool and motive to keep you determined to accomplish those Resolutions. Challenge yourself to accomplish a few GENUINE Resolutions that matter to you, and hopefully you will...

I'll tell you about my New Year Resolutions, they mostly surf around One topic: My little angel, my princess, my daughter, KINDA... That's where my heart and soul are, that's the most genuine thing in my life, and that's what keeps me so ALIVE...

So dig deep into your heart and soul, think about what matters to you, deeply and genuinely, what are those big challenges that you really really want to achieve this year... Write them down on a piece of paper (it should not exceed one regular page)... Make it fancy maybe, eye catching, to you, not to anyone else... And keep it where you can always see it, to remind yourself, to keep the challenge on... And good luck my friends...

Happy New Year to you all... Wishing you all the happiness, success, and joy in 2013 and all the years to come...

To PEACE and LOVE...

BISS

No comments:

Post a Comment